Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Two-Fifty Tuesdays #1

Excerpts from my writing consisting of 250 words. No more. No less. 

The following passage is taken from chapter six of my current work in progress: Somnia


“Wake up.”  My eyes fly open as a strange voice repeats the words that were just in my head.  I look up into the face of a gruff man I don’t recognize.  I stuff my journal back under my shirt and give him my attention.
     “I wasn’t asleep,” I say, a bit shaken at the man’s choice of words.  The man’s features aren’t very clear—as if someone has yet to define them.  The look in his dull gray eyes is empty.  He glances back at someone standing behind him.  Shep comes forward out of the shadows.  I lift my chin and freshen my glare.  Guardian of Somnia or not, Shep and I will never be compatible after today. 
     “Where is Destiny?” Shep demands.  I glance behind him at the door.  She still hasn’t returned from her quest.  I tell him nothing.  I merely tilt my head and give him a confused expression that is supposed to say:  why would the new guy know?  It works, for Shep moves on to the real topic at hand.  He nods to the gruff man with simple features.  I decide to nickname him Blank.  Blank breaks the lock of my cage and waits for me to come out.  I don’t move.  Who would willingly crawl towards a man who can break a lock with his bare hands?  But there’s nothing I can do when he drags me out himself.  Blank steals the journal from under my shirt and hands it to Shep. 
     “Hey!”


God bless,
~Amy Rochelle

No comments:

Post a Comment