Sunday, March 1, 2015

New Look and a Review

Hey guys! Today so happens to be my 19th birthday, and I thought it would be a perfect time to try a new look.  I decided to pick something green because green is a color that inspires creativity.  And as writers, any kind of inspiration is invaluable.

*  *  *

For my birthday, my dad took me out to see a movie.  (If I were to say I was addicted to anything, movies would definitely be it).



Anyway, my dad and I saw Kingsman: The Secret Service. 

Here's the trailer:


I'll start by saying that this movie was FANTASTIC.  For a spy movie, it did a great job of avoiding cliches, and kept me at the EDGE OF MY SEAT (in a good way) for the entire thing. 

The character development was very well done, the plot had good flow, and the ending was quite satisfying. 

I laughed, I nearly cried, and...

....I cringed.  

This movie is rated R for a very good reason.  

The violence is raw, and featured clearly throughout the film.  Most of it is hand-to-hand combat that goes from something as small as a punch, to as big as slicing a man vertically in half with a sharp blade.  And you see it all through an unabashed lens.  

On that note, the blood is surprisingly minimal, but you don't have time to notice the lack of it before the camera cuts away to someone else who is hacking away at yet another person.

Some other bits of violence include in-your-face threats, some of which are followed through with throughout the course of the film.

In addition to the extreme violence, there is also a lot of language.  I mean, a LOT. It got to the point where you don't even notice it anymore because the characters had already used it several dozen times in the first 15 minutes.  In my opinion, I think the movie would have done just fine without an f-bomb every five seconds. 

My closing thoughts on this movie are as follows. 

Plot was impressive, character development was amazing, and overall storytelling was brilliant. 
However, because of the gratuitous violence and the constant bombardment of harsh language, I can't recommend this movie as a must-see.  That being said, I did enjoy it quite thoroughly, and would gladly watch a PG-13 rated version of it. 



Hope you all are having a fabulous day!

God bless,
~Amy Rochelle

No comments:

Post a Comment