Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Two-Fifty Tuesdays #8

Excerpts of my writing consisting of 250 words. No more. No less.

The following passage is taken from Chapter Five of my current work in progress, Somnia


(Google.images)
     “Why?” He asks me after a decent amount of time has passed.  The atmosphere became uncomfortable roughly five minutes before he decided to speak.  I have no idea how to answer this question.  It is random and lacking any kind of context. I give him a confused look.  He steps closer to my cage.
     “Why did you ruin my life?” he growls. I blink.  Come again?  He looks just as confused at my confusion.  I can only shrug helplessly.  He stands a little straighter and lets out a breath through his nose.
     “You don’t remember me, do you?”  He sounds angry, hurt.  Again, I have nothing.
     “Were we in the same story or something?”  He laughs at this.  I’m not sure what that means.  I watch him silently, apprehensively.  He looks at me differently now.
     “You think you’re one of us,” he says, the smile still on his lips.  But the smile stops before it reaches his eyes.  I don’t think I can trust this man.  
     I suppose answering his question with a yes won’t help much of anything.  But who is the ‘us’ that he’s referring to?  Just the rule-benders like himself? Or all of Somnia?
     “Who am I, then?” I challenge.  He better have an answer for me.  He chuckles again—the kind that sounds like you’re hiding a dark secret.
     “You’re a nobody. An abandoned child who isn’t good for much of anything.”  His mocking tone is what sets me off.  I bang my fists against the ...


God bless,
~Amy Rochelle

No comments:

Post a Comment